These tips are offered as a guide only
People often have issues with frozen pipes when the temperature drops below zero, which can then cause cracks when they thaw and result in expensive repairs and a disrupted water supply.
Prepare your home in advance
Help to keep your winter free of extra stress by getting your home ready for the cold weather. Waiting until the temperature drops mean that your pipes may already be frozen.
- Insulate water tanks and pipes
- Service your boiler
- Check your inside stop valve
- Fix external dripping taps
- Minimise all draughts
- Keep your home warm
Once the temperature drops
When the temperature is below zero, it’s particularly important to take extra steps to prevent water in your pipes freezing. If you have no water or low water pressure in the winter, your pipes may already be frozen.
- Circulate warm air to unheated areas
- Running your taps will not prevent pipes from freezing
- Arrange a supply of fresh drinking water