The government has urged householders to ensure that they are availing of the supports that are in place to help all of us through winter.
The government announced a suite of measures to help people with the rising cost of living including:
- a €600 electricity credit for every household in the country
- a double social welfare payment for October – namely the Autumn Cost of Living Double Payment
- a double child benefit payment on 1 November
- a lump sum payment of €400 to people in receipt of fuel allowance, in the week commencing 14 November
- a payment of €200 to people who are in receipt of the living alone allowance, commencing on 14 November
- a €500 payment to people in receipt of the working family payment. These payments will commence on 14 November
- a €500 lump sum payment for people getting Carer’s Support Grant. These payments will commence on 14 November
- a €500 lump sum disability support grant will be paid to all people getting a long term disability payment
- The above payments will commence on 14 November.
- €700 – €8000 grants available for attic and cavity wall insulation depending on the upgrades selected
- 37,000 home energy upgrades including 6,000 free upgrades under the SEAI Energy Poverty Scheme
- €64 estimated savings through the extension of VAT reduction on energy bills
- Any older person who has concerns about their energy costs, finances, health, housing, or wellbeing this winter can call ALONE’s National Support and Referral Line – for access to services, advice and information.