Skip to main content

Rental and Home Sharing

Many older people live in the private or social rented sector in Ireland.

There are a number of government supports available such as Rent Supplement, the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP), and the Rental Accommodation Scheme. For more information on applying for social housing support please visit the Housing Agency’s webpage on social housing supports.

Local authorities and many Approved Housing Bodies provide housing specifically built for older people qualifying for social housing. To find out if you qualify for social housing support, contact your local authority.

Home share options enable older people to share their home with individuals who need accommodation. These types of schemes can support older people remain living independently as they can be supported with light household tasks, shopping and have the added security of having someone nearby at night. These organisations provide this type of service, connecting hosts with homesharers:

  • The Home Share are are non-profit organisation who also offer face to face support and monitoring for the entire homeshare arrangements.

AVA Housing (formerly The Abhaile Project) is supporting older homeowners to reconfigure and adapt their homes to make it more age friendly and also provide a seperate space for a rental unit.

Organisations that support those living in the rental sector and can provide more information are: